"All of us at Schlitterbahn have been heartbroken over the tragedy that occurred on Verrückt", said Pam Renteria, a spokeswoman Schlitterbahn Waterparks and Resorts, in a statement.
Caleb Thomas Schwab, the son of Republican member of the Kansas House of Representatives, Scott Schwab, died after suffering a fatal neck injury on 7 August.
Experts hired by attorneys representing Caleb's family and the other two women injured on the ride, Hannah Barnes and Matraca Baetz, independently investigated the towering Verrückt and the raft they were riding in September, the Star reported at the time.
No lawsuits have yet been filed.
KANSAS CITY - A Kansas City water park will shut down the world's largest water slide in response to an accident that killed a 10-year-old boy in August. Caleb Thomas Schwab was the son of Rep. Scott Schwab and his wife, Michele.
Verrückt, the world's tallest and fastest water slide which opened at the Schlitterbahn resort in Kansas City just two years ago, will close permanently after a young boy was killed in a gruesome accident earlier this year.
Verrückt has been closed since Caleb Schwab died while riding it on August 7. Messages left by The Associated Press for the attorneys were not immediately returned.
The slide, which has a name that translates to "insane" in German, sent riders down 17 stories at speeds as fast as 50 miles per hour.
Each rider was required to be at least 54 inches tall. One of the straps crosses the rider's lap, and the other stretches diagonally across the front of the body like a car's shoulder seatbelt.
Caleb Schwab, 10, died at the waterpark. Fabric fasteners, rather than buckles, hold the straps in place. The riders in each individual raft are reportedly weighed, "to ensure each raft carries between 400 pounds and 550 pounds".
'If necessary, there will be litigation, ' he added.
Kansas "is known for its light regulation of amusement park rides", according to the AP, which noted that all of the water park's rides "passed private inspections in June". The safety of our staff and our guests is our top priority.
- McFarland, McGahn to join Trump administration
- Nintendo Switch price, games and release date news
- Wildfire smoke from East Tennessee, Kentucky impacts Wilson County, burning not allowed
- Xbox Scorpio power isn't just a story of teraflops
- Many good reasons to keep Electoral College
- NFL Addresses Thursday Night Football's Future
- Microsoft Surface Phone set to begin production in 2017, says report
- Snake found inside toilet in Pretoria
- Fowlerville man arrested after pointing handgun at driver on I-96
- Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) Surface Phone Could Crush Apple, Samsung