Charlie Sheen has announced he is HIV positive in an exclusive interview with NBC TODAY Show host Matt Lauer. "They gave me a handful of pills and said, 'You can go home now, and you're going to live, '" he continued.
The "GMA" segment, taking a page from any good hiring manager, asked Sheen where he saw himself in 10 years.
Sheen says he now sees HIV as a way to help others.
Sheen has been enrolled in a Food and Drug Administration trial for a new drug that he's pretty optimistic about.
He said, "I feel like I'm carrying the torch for a lot of folks out there that are suffering from the same thing".
"If I was there with, you know, brain cancer or, or, a stomach thing, or some meningitis, we wouldn't be sitting here right now".
Although Sheen says he's in a better place now, he doesn't deny that the man who went on rants about doing more drugs than "anybody could survive" is still in him. "It's one shot a week, and there's no side effects".
Sheen likewise stated, "I'm so grateful for what was available when it happened".
Ten years from now, the 51-year-old believes he'll still be around if his treatment is successful - after all, he does have tiger blood coursing through his veins.
The actor previously blamed his controversial ways on his use of testosterone cream during that period, and he is still amazed at how "bizarre" his media interviews were at the time: "It's fun to kind of watch sometimes, but also just a little bit cringeable", he smiled.
As for his spirits now, Sheen admitted that every day is different.
Charlie has worked with the Food and Drug Administration to test a breakthrough new treatment to replace what he called the "hideous cocktail" of pills that most people with HIV now use.
Sheen said "For eight months now, I've been enlisted in a FDA examine for a pharmaceutical, for a medication called PRO-140".
After a four-year hiatus from films, Sheen is starring in Mad Families, which will be released on January 12 on Crackle.
- Diablo III's Anniversary Update and Event Now Live
- Victory Motorcycles is dead; Polaris to concentrate on Indian Motorcycle
- Salesforce.com Inc (CRM) Receives "Buy" Rating from Drexel Hamilton
- Casey Affleck wins Golden Globe for 'Manchester by the Sea'
- Kourtney Kardashian Pregnant With Baby #4
- Chevrolet 2018 Traverse Gets Bigger and Will Have Turbo Engine Option
- USA jobs growth slows to 156000 during December
- Pokemon Go next event for Mewtwo, Mew in 2017
- I will join politics soon, says Jayalalithaa's niece Deepa Jayakumar
- Honda Civic Type R will get CVT, no AWD