Former US president George H W Bush has been hospitalised in Houston, according to media reports quoting his former chief of staff.
Bush, who at 92 is the oldest living USA former president, has been at the same hospital since Saturday after experiencing shortness of breath, family spokesman Jim McGrath said on Wednesday.
"Doctors and everyone are very pleased, and we hope to have him out soon", spokesman Jim McGrath said in an email to the Associated Press. A later statement from Bush's camp, obtained by NBC News, said the 92-year-old former politician was "being monitored as a precaution and is resting comfortably".
Image copyright Getty Images Image caption Mr and Mrs Bush celebrated their 72nd wedding anniversary on 6 January. However, the reason behind Bush's hospitalization was not disclosed.
He served as U.S. president from 1989 to 1993.
In December 2014 he was hospitalized after experiencing shortness of breath, and the following July fell at his home in Kennebunkport, Maine, breaking the C2 vertebrae in his neck.
Both President-elect Donald Trump and President Barack Obama sent their well wishes to the Bushes as well.
While in the hospital, President Bush visited with Cernan family, and was able to say goodbye to former NASA astronaut Gene Cernan, who died on Monday. Only one other US president, John Adams, had a son who also became president. Barbara Bush, at 91, is similarly the eldest living former first lady. Thank you for your wonderful letter!
They want to see how the former first lady responds to treatment before allowing her to return home, he added.
Bush Sr has not been politically active in recent years although he did give his support to Jeb's doomed bid for the Presidency.
- 2-Month-Old Infant Mauled to Death by Family Dog
- Obama administration gives another $500M to U.N.'s Green Climate Fund
- Broncos' Joseph retains key members of defensive coaching staff
- Nick Kyrgios acknwoledges mental problems after Australian Open meltdown
- Netflix Nets About 7 Million Subscribers, Beats Q4 Expectations By A Mile
- Trump expects huge turnout at inauguration
- Lyon agrees fee with Manchester United for Memphis Depay
- Target tumbles after cutting its guidance on 'disappointing traffic and sales trends'
- Financial Stock in action: The Bank of New York Mellon Corporation's (BK)
- Netflix adds way more new subscribers than forecast