On social media and in essays published online, many women are denouncing the Girl Scouts of the United States of America for its plans to continue its tradition and take part in the presidential inauguration of Donald Trump on Friday. Acevedo pointed to the organization's non-partisan stance and history of marching in inauguration parades, and said around 75 girls would march at the event.
"At Girl Scouts, our Movement is made up of individuals who hold political beliefs and convictions as varied as our nation itself".
"Civic Engagement is in a Girl Scouts' DNA".
Being a leader means having a seat at the leadership table no matter what.
Many published reports noted that never before has the organization's participation in the presidential election created such an outcry, even when other presidents, such as Bill Clinton, were trailed by scandals involving the treatment of women. Many social media users found it surprising that the Girl Scouts would join the festivities given that women of all ages are planning marches the country this Saturday, largely in response to President-elect Donald Trump's November victory. Parcellin said the scouts volunteered for the assignment and were selected from among 1,500 who wanted to participate.
Gaponoff hasn't returned the Daily Dot's requests for comment as of this posting, but she lists several reasons why Trump is a poor role model for Girl Scouts, such as her plagiarism and lying about her college education.
"It's really ironic that you can literally google the Girl Scouts' primer on self-respect and not putting up with abuse, and now you're marching with a guy who calls you a pig and is grabbing you in inappropriate places", Negron-Quinones said.
"We are girl-led and girl-driven, and our job, our mission, is to empower them to make their own choices, and express their own views". She said cookie sales provide 75 percent of the annual budget for local Girl Scout councils, allowing girls to participate in wholesome activities like photography, swimming, and outdoor cooking. She added that tradition is not a reason to normalize Trump's "blatant misogyny".
- How To Stream Super Bowl LI For Free Using FOX Sports GO
- Kate Mara and Jamie Bell are officially engaged
- Windows 10 Build 10240 End of Life on March 26th
- Tax refunds will be late for some in 2017
- Former US President George H.W. Bush and wife in hospital
- Meryl Streep's Golden Globes speech, full transcript: 'Disrespect invites disrespect'
- MSU's Suzy Merchant takes medical leave of absence
- Obamas vacationing in Palm Springs
- Tax experts recommend filing early to avoid additional refund delay
- For Honor Closed Beta Details Revealed + New SCARS Site