But it doesn't look like the Obamas will be getting much of a break from the cold as they were greeted by heavy rain, fog and fierce winds when their plane was trying to land at Palm Springs International Airport at 3:30 p.m. The motorcade that followed extended their travel time from Washington to Palm Springs by almost 3-hours.
Fellow volunteer Nancy Liebman, who travels to Palm Springs each winter from Missouri, was thrilled Obama was arriving.
Earlier this week the White House told reporters the Obama's were headed to Rancho Mirage California.
It has been reported that President Obama and his family is staying at the mansion of his Spanish ambassador James Costos and his husband, interior designer Michael Smith, in Rancho Mirage, near Palm Springs while on vacation. They are expected to stay there at least until their youngest daughter Sasha finishes high school.
President Obama was instead flown elsewhere - a destination understood to be March Air Force base in Riverside, some 44 miles away.
Officials at Sunnylands, the "Camp David of the West", said they have not received any word from the White House regarding a potential visit to the estate, which has hosted eight presidents in the past, including Obama. After this ceremony, Obama's intend to have an wonderful trip to palm spring as it is not their first trip to spend time there as a family.
- Scarlett Johansson left angry when her speech was cut off
- First lady Melania Trump wears white Hervé Pierre gown to inaugural balls
- Melbourne mourns victims of the Bourke Street rampage
- USA gears up to welcome its 45th President
- NFC, AFC Championship game predictions: Who wins Packers-Falcons, Steelers-Patriots
- Trump to discuss immigration, trade with Mexico next week
- Cameroon 0 Gabon 0: Aubameyang miss haunts hosts as AFCON campaign ends
- British Prime Minister Theresa May to visit Trump Friday
- How to watch Donald Trump's presidential inauguration live online
- Power forward play was a bright spot against Iowa State